Beacon’s Beach (Encinitas) Shark Attack – Teen Transported To Hospital (7pm Update)

Share The Beach

Beacon’s Beach (Encinitas) 11′ Shark Attack

Beacon’s Beach Closed – 48 Hours

09/29/2018 7 p.m. Update: The LA Times reports, “The San Diego County teen was in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Rady Children’s Hospital, said hospital spokesman Carlos Delgado. Dr. Tim Fairbanks, chief pediatric surgeon, said the boy was taken into surgery after being stabilized. “This is a rare injury,” Fairbanks said in a brief news conference Saturday afternoon outside the emergency room. ‘This is not something we see much of, to be honest with you.'”

The victim was rescued by fellow lobster divers in a kayak. They helped the bleeding boy onto their kayak. The rescuers applied pressure to the wound, called for help and shouted for other divers to exit the water. “His whole clavicle was ripped open,” a rescuer said. “You could see the ball and socket joint.” Authorities are investigating with help from Chris Lowe, director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach. “Once we know more about the details of the incident, we may be able to determine the species involved and provide advice for future beach precautions” based on knowledge of shark behavior, Lowe said in a statement.

Beacons Beach

09/29/2018 7 p.m. NBC Nightly News UpdateThe boy, who was not identified, “sustained traumatic injuries to the upper torso area” in the 6:55 a.m. incident near Beacon’s Beach, said Encinitas Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles. A spokesman for Rady Children’s Hospital said he was in critical condition and would undergo surgery Saturday afternoon. About 30 people had been in the water diving for lobsters on the first day of the season.

09/29/2018 7 p.m. 7 San Diego Video Shark Attack Video Update: The Carlsbad Police Department is using a drone to check to look for any sharks that may be a threat, he said. They are also using jet skis to search. Other agencies helping with the investigation are California State Park Lifeguards, Solana Beach Lifeguards, the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, Encinitas and Carlsbad fire departments and the U.S. Coast Guard is aware of the incident.

09/29/2018 7 p.m. Click here * ==>>  CBS8 Shark Attack Video Update:  

09/29/2018 7 p.m. Beacon’s Beach Update:  Despite the closure, a surfer could be seen paddling into a break in the area Saturday morning. Go figure…

09/29/2018 12 Noon Update: Encinitas Lifeguard Captain Larry Giles stated in an interview, “It was opening day for lobster season. It is not known what type of shark attacked, but the shark was estimated to be 11 feet long. Beaches to be closed for 48 hours from Ponto to Swami’s beach. A permitted surf event was canceled. The victim was conscious and airlifted to a hospital. The attack was about 150 yards from the beach. There was a report of a seal in the area. This is a nonfatal incident. There was a nonfatal shark attack a few months ago at Camp Pendleton. A few years ago there was a fatal attack off of Solana Beach. The City of Encinitas is working with a shark expert who has been on ‘Shark Week.'”

 Click below to comment on Facebook

Beacons Beach

10News reports, “The shark attack was reported just before 7 a.m. in the 900 block of Neptune Ave. at Beacon Beach, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said. San Diego Fire-Rescue lifeguards were also on scene.

The 13-year-old endured traumatic injuries to his upper torso and was airlifted to Rady Children’s Hospital. The child was conscious and talking, according to Encinitas Lifeguards Captain Larry Giles.”

Giles indicated that because there were other permitted events in Encinitas, the lifeguard response time was short – within 15 minutes.

 

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports, “A teenager diving for lobster on the opening day of the season was attacked by a shark Saturday morning near Beacon’s Beach in Encinitas, authorities said.

The shark attack occurred just before 7 a.m. off Neptune Avenue at the foot of Leucadia Boulevard. They saw he was bleeding badly from a serious clavicle wound, said Chad Hammel, one of the rescuers.

“Once we threw him up on the kayak and started heading in, that’s when I looked back, and the shark was behind the kayak,” Hammel told the news station. “He didn’t want to give up yet.”

Amazon Products

The extent of the boy’s injuries was not released. The 13-year-old victim was airlifted to Rady Children’s Hospital, said hospital spokesman Carlos Delgado.

Encinitas Lifeguards are expected to provide further details at a news conference.

The beach has been closed.”

Read 16+ Shark Attack Tips. Shark Research: Myths, Facts, Safety, Surfing

CBS8 reports, “A teenager reportedly was attacked by a shark off the Encinitas shoreline Saturday morning.

It happened just before 7 a.m. at Beacon’s Beach, on Neptune Avenue near Leucadia Boulevard., authorities said.

The victim is reportedly 13-years-old and is in critical condition.

A representative of Rady Children’s Hospital confirmed someone arrived at the hospital with a shark bite injury about 7:45 a.m., but released no further information.

Read additional posts about sharks in the area.

Another Day, Another Shark In The Water

Update – 15 (No, Make That 25) MORE Great Whites. Another Day In The Water, Another Great White… Watch Shark In The Wave Behind Surfer

Sadly… Shark Attack Off San Onofre State Beach – The Latest News (Victim Recovering)

Divers… It’s What’s For Lunch. Watch A Great White Breach A Shark ‘Safety’ Cage (With A Diver Inside)

‘Mako My Day,’ Flying Shark Video Off Our Coast

Merging Technology and Aquatic Life – Drone Footage of 70 Tiger Sharks Eating Whale

Great White Shark Expert – “If you’re a surfer early morning surfs and late afternoon surfs — I’d put that aside for the next two months”

Fatal Shark Attack, San Diego, Initial Press Conference

Great White Shark Spotted Off Of Moonlight Beach

Share The Beach